How to Quickly Clean Your House When it’s a Disgusting Mess
Gallery Of How to Quickly Clean Your House When it’s a Disgusting Mess
Get Organized & Create Awesome Routines
How to Quickly Clean Your House When it’s a Disgusting Mess
This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience . Read my
No matter how clean my house gets, it’s hard to get too comfortable. Because with 4 little kids, I know that it wouldn’t take much for me to look around and find that my house is a disgusting mess.
One tough week and my sparkling clean house can look like it was ransacked by burglars. Burglars who dirtied the laundry, wrote on my walls, raided my fridge and pantry, and left every surface of my home sticky and covered in food.
Because when you have kids, it doesn’t take much for a messy house to feel so overwhelming that you don’t know where to start.
It could be work stress, a new baby, illness, the kids being on a school break, or just life simply getting crazy stressful.
The reality is that when the going gets tough, for most of us the first thing we let slide is our house.
And I’m here to tell you that it’s okay.
You’re not a failure because your house is cluttered and messy. You’re normal. So fantastically, beautifully normal.
But you’re ready to conquer your messy house and find peace and relaxation within the walls of your home.
In this guide, we’re going to get you there. You’re going to learn:
- How to get started even when the mess is overwhelming
- Step-by-step guide to clean a messy house in just one day
- How to keep your house clean from here on out
A note before we dive in: Your goal right now is to tackle as much as you possibly can today and then set up a plan to tackle the rest. Therefore your main focus today is MOMENTUM.
Do not let yourself get buried in any one task. Instead move quickly as you can through the steps and then once your messy house is suddenly feeling a million times better, you can deal with the nitty-gritty.
That said, let’s get started!
HOW TO CLEAN A MESSY HOUSE IN ONE DAY
When your house is a disaster, it can be downright paralyzing. It’s like everything is engulfed in flames and you’re there holding a spray bottle wondering where to aim the nozzle.
So what do you clean first in a messy house? Where do you aim your metaphorical spray bottle?
Put a movie on for your kids, open the windows , and grab a giant trash bag. Then go room to room through your house throwing away absolutely everything that can be thrown away immediately.
Your focus is singular: throw away anything you can without much thought.
- Small crappy toys your kids just leave around everywhere
Once the bag is full, throw it outside and grab another. Repeat until done. This shouldn’t take more than 15-20 minutes. A few minutes in each room should do it.
Remember, this isn’t deciding whether to keep or purge any significant items. It’s throwing away trash and trash-like items around your house .
If you have to think about it, just leave it for now.
And don’t worry about recycling or donating anything at this point. While I’m 100% all about recycling and being environmentally conscious, when you feel like you’re drowning, it’s about getting your head above the surface so you can actually breath.
You’ll recycle like a champ once you can breathe freely in your house. Right now it’s about relieving the stress that’s gnawing at you.
Once you’ve picked up all the trash, move onto…
Unsubscribe anytime. No spam ever.
Oh the kitchen. No room in the house can go from pristine to looking like a Hoarders episode faster than a family kitchen.
But you’re not going to do a deep cleaning of the kitchen. Not right now. Your main goal in the kitchen is to get it clean enough to be hygienic and functional. Clean enough to not feel depressed every time you look at it.
- Go room-to-room and gather dirty dishes from anywhere in the house
- Throw away anything too overwhelming
- Rinse and load dishes in dishwasher
- Clear surfaces as best you can quickly
- Wash any hand dishes and set out to dry
It might be tempting to buckle down into some nitty gritty cleaning. Like clearing out the junk drawer or cleaning out your fridge. DON’T DO IT.
Your house is like a person passed out and bleeding on the sidewalk. Let’s stop the bleeding and get her conscious before we paint her toenails.
Once your dishes are clean, surfaces are wiped down, and floors are swept, you can then move on to…
Dirty laundry has ninja-like qualities when it comes to suddenly overwhelming you.
One minute, you think you’re okay. And then suddenly you’re being attacked by growing piles and overflowing laundry hampers. And everyone’s forced to wear their swimsuits because there’s no clean underwear in the house.
But regardless, we’re now going to conquer the piles of dirty laundry from around your house.
Here’s what you’ll do to tackle the laundry today:
- Go room to room through the house and gather every piece of dirty laundry in the house. Don’t forget towels and bathroom rugs.
- Divide into various piles. I like to divide laundry into since they collapse flat and store easily, and keep my piles compact and organized.
- If you have any piles of clean laundry sitting around, fold and put it away – OR – simply divide it out and stuff it in drawers to deal with later.
Once you’ve got the laundry rolling along, you can then move onto the next step. But keep an eye on the laundry as you tackle other parts of your house.
You’ll want to take a minute to here and there to move the washed laundry into the dryer and then put a new load into the washer. You’ll deal with the folding and putting away later.
And stay tuned at the end of the post for from here on out.
It’s now time to tackle all the obnoxious paper clutter from around your house. Here’s what you’ll do
- First, gather ALL paper clutter, bills, etc. from around you house
- Separate into 2 piles: Deal with immediately , deal with later.
- Put the “deal with later” pile away. This way, if you’re looking for a paper, you’ll know where to find it. You can chip away at this in the coming weeks. In the meantime, make sure any incoming papers get added to this pile.
- Go through the “deal with immediately” pile and do whatever you need to do to knock those things off your plate. If something is going to take a bunch of time and it can wait a few days, put an alert in your phone to deal with it in 2 days and set it aside.
Remember, your goal is to keep the momentum going and tackle as much as you can right now.
So with the papers now taken care of, it’s time to move to…
5. MEAL PLANNING/PLAN GROCERY SHOPPING
Your home is already looking and feeling so much better by this point. It’s now time to buy yourself some time and headspace by getting all your meals for the next week figured out.
You’ll also create your shopping list so that you know exactly what you need to feed your family for this next week.
Here’s what you’re going to do:
- Figure out dinner tonight. Make it something SUPER easy with ingredients you have already. In fact, I highly recommend just grabbing take-out so that you don’t have another mess to clean and you don’t actually have to take time to make anything.
- Plan out simple meals for the next week. I’m sure you want to feed your kids nutritious, organic, homemade foods all the livelong day. But this week, let’s just make it easy. Once we’ve got room to breathe, you can plan some fancier grub. For the next week, let’s just make it as easy as possible.
- pita chips, humus, carrot sticks
You may also be interested in
2019 Bibel Vers Kalender zum ausdrucken |
Budget Binder Printable: How To Organize Your Finances
Das Tempe Healing Field, eine 9/11 Gedenkstätte und spirituelle Wiederherstellung
2019 Planer druckbare 2019 Monatsplaner 2019 Wochenplaner 2019 Planer Seiten 2019 Agenda druckbare Planer fügt A4 A5 Brief